Back to campus update January 18, 2021
We are looking forward to seeing you and your children next week as we resume in-person learning for all levels at MMS.
Please note that school is not in session on Monday due to the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday observance. School will start on Tuesday, January 19 with regular school hours (7:50 a.m.-2:50 p.m. for Primary and Lower Elementary and 8:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. for Upper Elementary and Middle School).
As we continue to navigate through these unprecedented times together, we remain committed to frequent communication with you regarding safety measures and protocols.
When we resume in-person learning, our staff will maintain its commitment to keeping your children safe by consistently following CDC mitigation strategies,
- Consistent and correct use of masks by all students and staff, indoors and outdoors
- Social distancing to the largest extent possible
- Hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette
- Cleaning and disinfection
- Limiting shared materials
- Contact tracing, in cooperation with the Kanawha-Charleston Health Department, if there is a confirmed case in the school community
- Cohorting – no mixing of students from classroom to classroom, no sharing of playground time, etc.
- Contacting you right away if your child shows signs of illness
- Limiting entry to the school buildings to students and staff only
- Increasing fresh air in indoor spaces by keeping doors and windows open or ajar
- Using air purifiers in each classroom
- Regular COVID testing of staff
- Daily health checks for students and staff
We ask that you continue to support the health of our school community by continuing to do the following:
- Following CDC guidelines for limiting COVID spread, including wearing masks when outside your home, limiting contact with those outside your immediate household, frequent hand washing and health monitoring
- Daily health checks at home before leaving for school
- Ensuring that your child has properly fitting (over mouth and nose) masks to wear to school daily
- Ensuring that everyone in your vehicle is wearing a mask through the car line (ages 2 and up)
- Keeping your child home if s/he shows any symptoms of COVID, or if there is a chance someone in your family has COVID, or if you are awaiting COVID test results for a household member
- Contacting Jennifer or Beth immediately if you receive positive COVID test results for anyone in your household
- Contacting Jennifer or Beth if your family plans include travel or activity during which you will not be able to follow COVID guidelines, including wearing masks consistently and social distancing consistently — we will work with you to arrange remote learning for your quarantine period
- Participating in the random COVID testing of 10% of our school population weekly
Enjoy the weekend, stay safe and see you next week.