On your mark, get set, Race for Education!
The Race for Education is back!
Mountaineer Montessori School students will lace up their running shoes and head to Triana Field on Friday, May 15, to raise money for our school. Proceeds will fund new Montessori educational materials for all class levels, primary through middle school. We thank MMS parent Diana Jacobs Johnson for chairing this wonderful event.
Primary classes: 8:30-9:30 a.m.
Lower elementary classes: 9:45-10:45 a.m.
Upper and middle school classes: 11:00 a.m.-Noon
Students are inviting friends and relatives to support this great fundraiser with a tax-deductible donation. To help out, or for more information, please contact the MMS office at 304/342-7870.
Event update from Chair Diana Johnson:
We trust all of you have had the opportunity to look over the Kick-off Packets, which were sent home last week announcing our “Race for Education” fundraiser. Please note that label sheets are due on Monday, April 27. The last time we did this fundraiser we raised $12,000. Our goal this year is to reach that and possibly surpass it! All funds raised will be put toward educational materials for our classrooms. You will enable us to reach this goal, if we receive from you an average of 14 label names per student. Thank you.
Here are some examples of the materials that will be purchased with the money raised during this fundraiser:
- Primary classes could use mats for the seasons, continents, and land/water as well as handwriting chalkboards.
- Lower Elementary would love to purchase some geography pin maps, grammar boxes, National Geographic nonfiction readers, and an encyclopedia set.
- Upper Elementary could use a printer and a podium for student presentations. We will be expanding our Upper Elementary space next year and will need tables and additional materials to accommodate a larger group of students.
- The Middle School is in need of cooking knives and other cooking equipment.
- Nancy has requested a laptop and some easels for the art program. She could also use a wagon and a water jug with a spout for P.E.
- Plus Program’s wish list includes creative building materials, board games, snap circuits and tetherball.
- Last, but not least, our birds would love a new birdcage.
- We could use donations of stamps for this fundraiser. You can drop them off in the office anytime! Thank you!!!
Thank you in advance for participating in this fundraiser so we can purchase some of the items on our staff’s wish lists!
As you consider names of potential sponsors, here are some tips:
1) In order to list someone as a potential sponsor, a) the family must personally know the individual (please, no movie stars!); b) sponsors must have the potential to contribute at least $5.00, and you feel quite sure that they will; c) the sponsor cannot be school age (i.e., K-12). The exception to ‘c’ is when students have an older sibling who has a part time job, and he/she has agreed to sponsor the younger sibling for at least $5.00.
2) A sample list of potential sponsors is shown on the label sheet below. Potential sponsors may be family members, relatives, close friends, and neighbors. Special emphasis should be placed on out-of-state relatives and friends. Also, the people you do business with are a good source of names, i.e., barber, dentist, doctor, piano teacher, etc. Please note that if a couple is living “under the same roof,” you must list them both on one label (i.e., Mr. & Mrs. John Doe) not two labels. Don’t forget to list your own name.
3) It is all right for children in a family to include the same sponsor names on their label sheets. For example, three children from the same family can list their grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc., on their own individual label sheet.
If you have any questions about this fundraiser, please don’t hesitate to contact me. Thank you in advance for all your help!
Diana Johnson: firstname.lastname@example.org