After school ukulele and guitar classes start January 28
After school music lessons with Alasha Al-Qudwah, Lower Elementary II Assistant/Middle School Specialist, will start January 28. Here is more information from Alasha:
Ukulele and guitar sessions will start the week of January 28, 2019 and end the week of March 25. The cost per session is $150 by check made out to “Alasha Al-Qudwah.” There will only be 10 spots available in each class and payment is due in full before the session begins. If your child needs to stay in Plus from 3:00-3:30 p.m., and is not normally enrolled in Plus, please contact Beth George in the MMS office at 304/342-7870. There will be a nominal fee charged and your child will participate in Plus snack.
Students are responsible for obtaining their own instrument and the required music for the session:
- Guitar – nylon strings- 3/4 size if under the age of 11.
- Ukulele- soprano or concert size
- Guitar – Hal Leonard Guitar Book 1 and 1” binder with 3 section dividers
- Ukulele – Hal Leonard Ukulele Book 1and 1” binder with 3 section dividers.
- Kerr’s Music World (Charleston, WV)
- Fret and Fiddle (St. Albans, WV)
- Amazon.com *please email me and I will send links to instruments I personally recommend if ordering online. They have great deals on good brands of student guitars and ukuleles.*
Within these sessions, students will learn how to play songs while singing, learn how to read music, learn a vocabulary of chords, learn basic music theory, and learn strumming techniques at a pace designed for first time players. In addition, students will learn the quality experience of performing in an ensemble which teaches awareness of players around them, the ability to match the tempo and pitch of others, and learning how to follow and lead with one another. These life skills translate to many other situations.
To register your child, email email@example.com with your child’s name, age, and instrument. All purchased materials and instruments must be approved before the first lesson.