Upper Elementary Assistant
The assistant works hand in hand with the classroom’s lead teacher in preparing and maintaining a work environment consistent with the Montessori method of learning and teaching. The assistant teacher assisting the lead teacher with managing a classroom of approximately 20 students, supporting students’ independent work, and supervising students in the indoor and outdoor environments.
The ideal candidate:
- has a background education and enjoys working with students ages 9 to 12
- is able to ensure the physical and emotional safety and well-being of the students
- is a team player, organized, flexible, efficient, creative, comfortable with technology, and a problem-solver
- is willing to take direction from the lead teacher
- has a working knowledge of the elementary content in all subject areas
- is able to model integrity, curiosity, and respect
- is an excellent communicator, interacting with children, families, and coworkers in a warm, compassionate, empathetic, and confident manner
The position requires attendance at occasional evening school events, overnight school trips and monthly after school staff meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Montessori elementary classroom experience (preferred)
- 3-5 years experience working in a classroom (preferred)
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
Founded in 1976, MMS is West Virginia’s original and largest Montessori school, offering a world-class education experience to 142 children ages 3 to 14. We are the only American Montessori Society full member and the only AMS Pathways to Continuous School Improvement school in the state. MMS is steadfastly committed to ongoing staff training and professional development for employees. Our exceptional team of highly-qualified, experienced teachers and staff continues to raise the bar for education in West Virginia.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.