Getting started at Mountaineer Montessori School
At MMS, we consider all children for admission based upon their readiness for school, potential for success in a Montessori classroom and our enrollment capacity. MMS is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, creed, religion or ethnic or national origin in its admission policy.
The admission process
- a school tour/classroom observations for parents,
- submission of an application form,
- payment of a $100 nonrefundable application fee,
- payment of a nonrefundable deposit equal to 5 percent of the tuition for the school year (to be applied towards annual tuition),
- and a classroom visit and/or interview for students, depending on the age of the child.
School tour and classroom observations
The school tour is a vital part of the admissions process. An individualized tour introduces basic Montessori principles and practices and allows parents to observe classrooms at all levels. Tours are for parents only.
Children who are applying as new students to our school will participate in an admissions process that may involve meeting the teacher and spending some time in the classroom. All admissions decisions are made after consultations between faculty and administrators, based on a variety of factors.
Criteria for eligibility
- Primary half-day program (ages 3-5): Children must be three years old on or before September 1 and must be toilet trained.
- Primary extended-day Program (ages 4-1/2–6): Assessment of readiness by the faculty is required for admission to the primary extended day program.
- Lower Elementary Program (ages 6–9): All children will be considered for admission.
- Upper Elementary Program (ages 9–12): All children will be considered for admission.
- Adolescent Program (ages 13-14): All children will be considered for admission.
The Admissions Committee is comprised of an administrator and faculty members. The committee considers several factors, including age, prior Montessori experience, class composition and the compatibility of the parents’ educational philosophy with that of MMS. In the event that the Admissions Committee is unable to admit an applicant, the deposit will be fully refunded. All enrollments are subject to classroom capacity.
For information about tuition, payment options and financial aid, please call 304/342-7870.